Poynter is looking for a new writer and editor to host The Cohort, a twice-monthly newsletter by and for women in media.
The Cohort newsletter was founded in 2016 as an extension of Poynter’s Leadership Academy for Women in Digital Media, continuing and expanding the conversations among alumnae. The program now has around 400 graduates, but more than 8,000 people subscribe to The Cohort to get practical, relevant advice about their work and tap into an authentic community of women in media.
The new host will evolve the editorial mission of the newsletter to reflect the pandemic-era realities of women in journalism, media and technology. The host will infuse a new personality and perspective into the editorial product, while collaborating with our business and product team to grow and engage subscribers.
Women in media need guidance charting unique career paths — including part-time, freelance, start-ups, union organizing and even caregiving. Women in media need meaningful and practical advice as they lead their teams through financial, cultural and mental health crises at work. Women in media need to connect with each other to foster collaboration, sponsorship and advancement.
The new host will drive Poynter’s Cohort newsletter to meet these needs and reclaim and reimagine women as leaders in media.
This is a 12-month contract. The host will be responsible for writing all content for the newsletter roughly two times a month for one year, for a total of 22 issues. Poynter is committed to diversity and an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
In order to fulfill the obligations of this contract, the new host will:
- Evolve the editorial mission of the newsletter to reflect the pandemic-era realities of women in journalism, media and technology.
- Write — or commission and edit — the newsletter roughly two times a month for one year, for a total of 22 issues.
- Deeply report an edition of the newsletter, once per quarter, that investigates current issues or trends in the post-pandemic era, such as burnout or union organizing.
- Identify diverse voices for the newsletter and ensure the content is inclusive to women and LGBTQ+ people of different backgrounds.
- With Poynter partners, consider and experiment with different story forms — listicles and three-point takeaways in addition to articles, Q&As, GIFs, illustrations, or even live panel conversations.
- Be active on social media to drive new subscribers and readers to articles from The Cohort on Poynter’s website.
- Champion The Cohort brand, which espouses the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, collaboration, community, connection, kindness, growth and innovation.
We are moving quickly. Please send three reporting/writing samples, an example of a social media promotion, and a letter explaining why you’d be a good fit for this contract as soon as possible to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.
Deadline to apply: July 30, 2021
You can work from anywhere in the U.S.
This 12-month contract will pay up to $19,250.
Location/Region: St. Petersburg, FL